As thousands of Baby Boomer-era faculty members near retirement, many who have taught in disciplines such as art history and visual studies are considering what to do with their 35mm. slide collections. This case study of a two-year collaboration between an art and architectural history professor and a visual resources curator outlines some of the choices to be made, and potential problems to avoid, in deciding whether to accept the donation of a faculty slide collection. It underscores the crucial importance of the scholar's willingness to provide cataloging information, and, if possible, to participate directly in the cataloging process.
Kohl, Allan T.
"Heritage Seeds: Preserving a Scholar-Photographer’s Legacy Slides in a Digital Environment,"
VRA Bulletin: Vol. 39
, Article 2.
Available at: http://online.vraweb.org/vrab/vol39/iss3/2
Charles Sumner Frost (US, 1856-1931), Milwaukee Road Depot, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1899. View from southwest. This historic railway terminal that once served passenger trains on the competitive Minneapolis-Chicago route was converted into a boutique hotel in 2001. Photograph by Philip Larson.
SullivanBank_Layout.jpg (13856 kB)
Louis H. Sullivan (US, 1856-1924), Merchants National Bank (Brenton National Bank of Poweshiek County), Grinnell, Iowa, 1899. [L] View of main (south) entrance; [TR] South wall clock above main entrance showing glazed brick and glass mosaic; [BR] Detail of glazed terracotta cartouche surrounding the oculus above the main entrance. Among the finest of Sullivan’s “jewel-box” Midwestern bank buildings, the Merchants National Bank was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. Photographs by Philip Larson.
225_Layout.jpg (13062 kB)
Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, 225 South Sixth Building (First Bank Place; US Bankcorp Building) Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1992. [L] View from southeast; [R] Detail of main entrance. One of the most distinctive buildings on the Minneapolis skyline with its illuminated “broken halo” crown, the “225” was acquired by Capella University in 2008 and is now known as Capella Tower. Photographs by Philip Larson.
Masonic_Layout.jpg (13242 kB)
Long & Kees (American architectural firm, 1885-1897), Masonic Temple (Hennepin Center for the Arts) Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1888-1890. [L] View from southeast; [TR] Detail of main (east) entrance portal; [BR] Detail of sculpted relief décor above main (east) entrance portal. This Richardsonian Romanesque structure was renovated in 1979 for use by a variety of visual and performing arts companies; its spacious eighth floor hall is now a venue for the Illusion Theatre. Photographs by Philip Larson.
ATKheadshot.JPG (2065 kB)
Art historian Allan T. Kohl is the Visual Resources Librarian at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design, and also teaches special topics art and cultural history courses for the College of Continuing Education at the University of Minnesota/Twin Cities. He did his graduate study in Library/Information Science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and in art history at the University of Minnesota. He is Past-President and current Treasurer of the Visual Resources Association, and has served for more than a decade on the VRA's Intellectual Property Rights Committee, with a particular interest in copyright issues as these affect the educational use of images documenting works of art and visual culture.
PhilipLarson.jpg (2678 kB)
Dr. Philip Larson has recently retired after 37 years teaching art and architectural history at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design, before which he was a curator at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. He holds his doctorate in Art History from Columbia University. He also maintains an active studio practice, executing commissioned designs and architectural décor in a wide range of media for public and private buildings throughout the Midwest.